Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Corporate Boutique - Oxymoron? Or No?


The WSJ recently covered the plans of Neiman Marcus to launch a boutique retail chain, called Cusp, in hopes of connecting with young women (20s and 30s). In a recent discussion with an office neighbor, we came to the conclusion that (at least for us) the mall has become a great spot to find basics. Ultimately however, when it comes to self-expression, we turn to more boutique operations for those items that stand out in a crowd. Fortunately such boutiques are popping up on every corner. I guess it was only a matter of time before bigger companies caught up with the small store, one-of-a-kind sales racks.

Anthropologie has been able to pull this off for quite sometime and although I hate their prices, I must say I love their clothes. Heck, I'm still in love with their kid-sister brand, Urban Outfitters (even if I am outside the target market by a few years).

People love boutique stores because their unique (not to mention you're helping out local biz). So will this trend diminish the uniqueness of boutique shopping? Who knows. Maybe it will even bring prices down a little. No? Please?

2 comments:

ie said...

What happened to Melulie Whitark's blog?

Daniel Wallace said...

Heck, I'm still in love with their kid-sister brand, Urban Outfitters (even if I am outside the target market by a few years).

YOU'RE outside their target market by a few years?!

Dan (scratches UO off his shopping list...)